Philadelphia's Paid Sick Time
Starting May 13, 2015, employees who work at least 40 hours a year within the City of Philadelphia limits will be eligible to earn paid/unpaid sick leave.
- Employees are eligible to earn 1 hour of sick time for every 40 hours they work.
- Employers with 10 or more employees are required to provide paid sick leave. Employers with 9 or fewer employees are required to provide unpaid sick leave.
- A maximum of 40 sick time hours may be earned in a calendar year. Accrued sick time may be used after an employee has worked a minimum of 90 days. Accrual begins May 13, 2015 for all current employees.
- Earned sick time can be used for the employee's own health needs, to care for a family member or for leave due to domestic abuse or sexual assault.
- If an employer refuses to provide earned sick time or retaliates against employees for utilizing sick time, the employee can make a formal complaint to the City of Philadelphia's Sick Leave Agency after September 2015.
- Employers must notify employees that they are entitled to sick time, the amount of sick time and the terms of its legal use.