We help clients who are having problems obtaining benefits from with the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)We do not help with any other type of utilities problem.

If you have a non-LIHEAP utilities problem (for example, you received a shutoff notice from PECO, PGW, or PWD), contact Community Legal Services instead.  Financial assistance with your utility bills may be available from the Utility Emergency Services Fund (UESF).

How to get help with Utilities

The following departments at PLA provide legal assistance with Utilities:

Intake Procedure:

Applicants may call the telephone intake line, except that applicants whose legal problem is SSI need to apply through Community Legal Services (CLS).  For the intake hours at CLS, see the SSI page of CLS's web site.

Applicants may also apply online (for legal problems other than SSI).

Self-Help Resources

Assistance with applying for public benefits, UC, and EITC

If you need help applying for public benefits, unemployment compensation, or the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), free help is available from the City of Philadelphia.  You can get one-on-one counseling from BenePhilly over the phone or in person.

The toll-free number for BenePhilly is 844-848-4376.  You can also walk in to one of six BenePhilly Centers.

Weatherization assistance

For information about programs to help you weatherize your property and save money on utilities, see the weatherization page on the web site of Community Legal Services.

Water bill assistance program

The Philadelphia Water Revenue Bureau offers an assistance program to low-income customers.

PECO assistance programs

PECO offers a variety of assistance programs to low-income customers.

PGW assistance programs and grants

Philadelphia Gas Works (PGW) offers a variety of assistance programs and grants to low-income residential customers.