Our work allows all of our staff to make a positive impact on low-income communities throughout Philadelphia. A career with PLA is both an exciting and enriching experience and will allow you to help low-income individuals and families obtain equal access to justice.
Throughout each year, PLA offers a variety of employment opportunities for attorneys, paralegals, law school graduates with fellowships, support staff, and interns.
Inquiries about employment should be directed to email@example.com.
Philadelphia Legal Assistance (PLA) seeks to immediately hire a full-time, Spanish-speaking paralegal to work with low-income Philadelphia residents in danger of losing their homes.
PLA provides free civil legal assistance to low-income individuals and families in Philadelphia. For Philadelphia residents who are low-income, elderly, or disabled, our legal assistance is often crucial to protecting their homes, their children, their safety, and their livelihood.
PLA operates the "Save Your Home Philly" Hotline, a central point of contact for Philadelphia homeowners at risk of losing their homes. The lawyers and paralegals at PLA work in close collaboration with Community Legal Services, Philadelphia VIP, and a network of housing counselors to assist homeowners in navigating the legal system, understanding and safeguarding their rights, and avoiding homelessness. The Hotline is a critical piece of the network of services available in Philadelphia for low-income homeowners to preserve neighborhood and family stability by remaining in their homes. Hotline paralegals play a direct role in obtaining affordable housing costs for low-income homeowners.
A successful candidate will have a variety of responsibilities as part of a team of attorneys and paralegals, including:
- Interviewing and advising clients faced with mortgage and tax problems, both in person and over the phone
- Evaluating a client's situation and making appropriate referrals
- Advocating for clients with mortgage companies and taxing authorities in writing as well as over the phone
- Researching, understanding and utilizing statues, regulations and city ordinances
- Coordinating and managing case referrals
- Tracking policy developments and disseminating new information to other paralegals on the team
- Providing litigation support to housing unit attorneys
- Proposing and supporting loan modification agreements
Working with "Save Your Home Philly" is a hands-on, skill-building experience. Previous knowledge of consumer and homeownership legal issues is not a requirement for this position. Qualifications include:
- Spanish fluency
- Strong communication and interviewing skills
- Commitment to improving the well-being of low-income communities
- Compassion, understanding, patience, and a talent for working cooperatively with a broad spectrum of people
- Maturity, self-motivation, and ability to adapt quickly
- Prior work or volunteer experience at a non-profit serving low-income clients is preferred
Salary and benefits
Salary is commensurate with years of experience and is comparable to other public interest paralegal salaries. Benefits include excellent health care coverage and generous vacation and holiday benefits.
Interested applicants should forward a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLA seeks to hire an assistant to the Finance Director. The applicant must be able to, following a brief training period, accomplish each of the following duties, which may change from time to time, depending on the demands on the Finance Department:
- Bi-weekly payroll/payroll tax postings by class;
- Pension and health benefits calculations (HSA accounts);
- Grant billing and monthly class reporting;
- Vendor relations and professional service relations;
- General ledger maintenance;
- Filing and file maintenance for A/P and A/R;
- Inputting of A/P into accounting system;
- Payments of regular recurring bills;
- Accounting for client trust accounts.
- Accounting skills preferred;
- Working knowledge of automated accounting systems, specifically QuickBooks a plus;
- Proficiency in the use of Excel required;
- Basic understanding of human resources is a plus;
- Basic office skills.
Philadelphia Legal Assistance is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
Send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Philadelphia Legal Assistance (PLA) seeks to hire a full-time family law paralegal to be based out of and staff the Family Law Help Center.
BACKGROUND: PLA is a nonprofit legal services organization primarily funded by the Legal Services Corporation. We serve approximately 3,000 clients each year in the area of family law and view our family law practice to be an integral part of the war on poverty and family violence.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Paralegal will be based at the Philadelphia’s Court of Common Pleas Family Court Help Center working under the direct supervision of an experienced family law attorney. The Paralegal will operate the Family Court Help Center, assisting pro se custody litigants seeking assistance with filing pleadings in custody matters. The Paralegal will conduct domestic violence and sexual assault screening of litigants and will assist them in a variety of domestic relations matters, including child custody, support, and protection from abuse. This assistance includes client interview, pleading preparation, pro se litigation assistance, litigation coordination, options counseling, safety planning, referrals to other legal and social services, and other routine paralegal duties.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: College graduate. Commitment to and experience working with survivors of family violence issues preferred. Ability to interact well with the public in a high-stress environment and work with clients who are facing emotionally-charged issues. Ability to speak and write Spanish is required.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Salary is commensurate with years of experience and is comparable to other public interest paralegal salaries. Full health coverage and other benefits.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Philadelphia Legal Assistance is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Interested applicants should forward a résumé and cover letter via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested applicants should forward a résumé and cover letter via e-mail to email@example.com