Consumer Housing Unit Paralegal
Position: Paralegal, Consumer Housing Unit
Philadelphia Legal Assistance (“PLA”) is the federally funded civil legal aid provider for Philadelphia’s indigent community. We provide high-volume, high-quality and innovative legal representation in administrative and court proceedings, including all levels of state and federal courts. We also provide community education, advice, referral, and support pro se representation. Our focus is on legal matters addressing basic human needs: family safety, health, income maintenance, and home preservation.
Philadelphia Legal Assistance (PLA) seeks to immediately hire a full-time paralegal to assist low-income clients who are facing mortgage or tax foreclosure, and who are in danger of losing their homes.
The successful candidate will have a variety of responsibilities as part of a team of attorneys and paralegals, including:
· Interviewing and advising clients facing mortgage and tax foreclosure;
· Helping clients apply for financial assistance and payment agreements through programs designed to help low-income homeowners resolve a mortgage or tax delinquency;
· Assisting homeowners who have experienced a COVID-related financial hardship navigate the application process with the Pennsylvania Homeowner Assistance Fund;
· Helping clients who are behind on their mortgages navigate the ‘loss mitigation’ process, including applying for loan modifications and communicating with mortgage companies;
· Drafting, executing, and recording deeds and other documents necessary to enable homeowners to obtain record ownership of their homes;
· Negotiating with mortgage companies and taxing authorities in writing and over the phone;
· Maintaining relationships with key partners in City Government;
· Coordinating and managing case referrals;
· Providing litigation support.
The position also will provide opportunities for participation in community outreach and education, and City-wide coalitions focused on advancing the rights of low-income homeowners.
· Two- or Four-Year Degree;
· Strong organizational skills;
· Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally;
· An interest in the law and in lawyering;
· Strong analytic and reasoning ability;
· Exceptional attention to detail;
· A sincere and strong commitment to helping others;
· A strong commitment to racial justice;
· The ability to manage conflicting demands;
· Compassion, understanding, patience and a talent for working cooperatively with a broad spectrum of people.
Prior work or volunteer experience at a non-profit serving low-income clients strongly preferred but not required. Ability to speak and write Spanish preferred. Fluency in any language in addition to English is also a plus.
Starting Salary and Benefits
Salary is dependent upon experience, starting at $40,000. PLA offers a generous benefit package in addition to salary: health insurance premiums paid in full for employee and family, cash incentives for health insurance opt out, vacation, personal, and sick leave, thirteen (13) paid holidays, 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution based on years of service, life insurance and short and long term disability benefits.
PLA’s office is at 718 Arch Street in Philadelphia. Staff may request to work from home up to 3 days per week.
Philadelphia Legal Assistance (PLA) is an equal-opportunity employer. PLA values a diverse work environment and strongly encourages women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, people with disabilities, people who have experienced poverty or homelessness, and people who have had prior contact with the juvenile, criminal, or child welfare systems to apply. PLA invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Send cover letter, resume, references, and five-page writing sample, preferably in one PDF document, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled. We encourage applicants to submit applications as soon as possible.