Paralegal, Consumer Housing Unit (Tangled Title)
Position: Paralegal, Consumer Housing Unit (Tangled Title)
Hiring Timeframe: Rolling
Application requirements: Cover letter, resume, writing sample and references
Philadelphia Legal Assistance (“PLA”) is the federally funded civil legal aid provider for Philadelphia’s indigent community. We provide high-volume, high-quality and innovative legal representation in administrative and court proceedings, including all levels of state and federal courts. We also provide community education, advice, referral, and support of pro se representation. Our focus is on legal matters addressing basic human needs: family safety, health, income maintenance, and home preservation.
Philadelphia Legal Assistance (PLA) seeks to immediately hire a full-time paralegal to assist lawyers representing low-income clients with tangled titles who are in danger of losing their homes.
The successful candidate will have a variety of responsibilities as part of a team of attorneys and paralegals, including:
· Interviewing and advising clients with tangled titles;
· Drafting, executing, and recording deeds and other documents necessary to enable homeowners to obtain record ownership of their homes;
· Communicating with clients about issues related to tangled titles, including inheritance and estate planning;
· Helping clients navigate the estate probate process, including filing for probate, applying to the Tangled Title Fund, and filing inheritance tax returns;
· Negotiating with mortgage companies and taxing authorities in writing as well as over the phone;
· Maintaining relationships with key partners in City Government;
· Representing clients in administrative proceedings before the Philadelphia Tax Review Board and the Philadelphia Board of Revision of Taxes;
· Helping clients apply for tax agreements with the City of Philadelphia and appealing denials;
· Coordinating and managing case referrals;
· Providing litigation support.
The position also will provide opportunities for participation in community outreach and education, and City-wide coalitions focused on advancing the rights of low-income homeowners.
· Two- or Four-Year Degree;
· Strong organizational skills;
· Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally;
· An interest in the law and in lawyering;
· Strong analytic and reasoning ability;
· Exceptional attention to detail;
· A sincere and strong commitment to helping others;
· A strong commitment to racial justice;
· The ability to manage conflicting demands;
· Compassion, understanding, patience and a talent for working cooperatively with a broad spectrum of people.
Prior work or volunteer experience at a non-profit serving low-income clients strongly preferred but not required. Ability to speak and write Spanish preferred. Fluency in any language in addition to English is also a plus.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary is dependent upon experience, starting at $39,000. PLA offers a generous benefit package in addition to salary: health insurance premiums paid in full for employee and family, cash incentives for health insurance opt out, vacation, personal, and sick leave, thirteen (13) paid holidays, 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution based on years of service, life insurance and short and long term disability benefits.
Philadelphia Legal Assistance (PLA) is an equal opportunity employer. PLA values a diverse work environment and strongly encourages women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, people with disabilities, people who have experienced poverty or homelessness, and people who have had prior contact with the juvenile, criminal, or child welfare systems to apply. PLA invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Send cover letter, resume, references, and five-page writing sample, preferably in one PDF document, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, and the positions will remain open until filled. We encourage applicants to submit applications as soon as possible.