How do I file for a protection from abuse order?

A protection from abuse order is a civil order that provides protection from harm by family or household members, sexual or intimate partners, or someone with whom you have a child in common.

You can file your petition for a protection from abuse order with the Court of Common Pleas in the county where you live (permanently or temporarily), where you work, in any county where the abuser can be served (i.e., where s/he lives or works), or in the county where the abuse took place.

You will need to fill out the necessary forms including a protection from abuse (PFA) petition.  On the petition, you will be the plaintiff and the abuser will be the defendant.

Your petition will be given to the judge.  If the judge believes that you or your children are in immediate danger, s/he may sign a temporary order.

Subject Areas: