General Intake Unit

Name Change

PLA can help you understand the process of an adult name change or a minor name change by providing advice and referrals.

Adult Name Change

When an adult wishes to legally change their name, a petition needs to be filed with the Court of Common Pleas; there is a filing fee of $333.23 that may be waived by the Court if you can prove you are low-income, however, there are usually publication fees that cannot be waived by the Court. The Court will then decide in a hearing whether to grant the name change. In special cases, we can refer a name change case to a pro-bono attorney to assist with the process. Additionally, we have a self-help guide to take you step by step through the process when changing your name.

Minor Name Change and Birth Certificates

If both biological parents who are on the child’s birth certificate agree to the name change they can complete and sign the form on the back of their child's birth certificate. The form is then mailed to the Department of Vital Statistics along with the $20 fee.  The Department of Vital Statistics will send the parents a new birth certificate containing the child's new name.

If there is a parent who does not agree to the name change, then a parent must petition the Court of Common Pleas. The procedures and forms for filing a name change petition for a child are similar as for an adult. Although, the parent or legal guardian who is seeking the name change for the minor will have to prove to the Courts that the change is in the best interest of the minor. 

Intake Process

General Intake Hotline

Monday through Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. at 215-981-3800.

Apply Online

Apply online for an issue, anytime by filling out our online application. Click the button below to take you to our application site. Note: this will open in another tab in your browser.

Apply Online

Related Self-Help Material

Relevant Team Members