Family Law Unit


If you have a child and you plan to move, you may need to get Family Court's permission first. Relocation is a very complicated situation, so PLA urges you to get legal help if possible well in advance of your planned move. 

Pennsylvania custody law says you need to send a Notice of Relocation to anyone with a legal right to the child if you plan to move somewhere that would impact that person’s relationship with your shared child. This can be a move within Philadelphia or further away, if the move impacts one parent’s ability to see and maintain a relationship with their child. 

You need to file a Notice of Relocation whether there is a legal custody order or not. The other parent will then have the opportunity to go to court and explain to a judge why you should not be allowed to move to that location.

Intake Process

Family Law Hotline

Tuesday and Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. at 215-981-3838.