Taxpayer Support Clinic

Income Taxes

Philadelphia Legal Assistance helps people struggling with federal income tax issues and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by providing free legal advice and representation where possible.   

We also give presentations to community members and service providers about our services and how to deal with the IRS in a variety of common problematic situations.

 The issues PLA helps people with most often are: 

  • When you are eligible for an Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and/or other refund, but are not receiving the full amount you claimed on your return. 

  • When the IRS asks you to prove certain details of your tax return, which may be an audit or examination.

  • When you owe taxes that you can’t afford to pay. 

    • We help people who have levies, which is when the IRS takes money out of your wages or Social Security benefits.

    • We help people whose tax bills have gone to collections with solutions like Offers in Compromise, Installment Agreements, and entering Currently Not Collectible status.

  • When you disagree with the amount of tax the IRS says that you owe, which may involve going through U.S. Tax Court Litigation or, especially if the IRS has been taking your refunds, Audit Reconsideration 

  • When you are an employee and your employer is misclassifying you by treating you as an independent contractor and not withholding taxes from your pay (e.g., giving you a 1099 instead of a W-2, or paying you in cash off-the-books/under-the-table) 

PLA is not part of the IRS and does not generally prepare tax returns.  For assistance with tax return preparation, please see the IRS list of free tax preparation sites.  Before you choose to use a paid tax preparer, please read our guide, Choosing a Paid Tax Preparer.

In addition to federal income taxes, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the City of Philadelphia charge income taxes. In limited circumstances the LITC may be able to assist individuals in resolving State and City income tax matters.  For City of Philadelphia Real Estate Taxes (also known as Property Tax, this is the tax on your home or on other real estate you own), see Real Estate Taxes.

In accordance with federal law and Internal Revenue Service policy, Philadelphia Legal Assistance is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.  To file a complaint of discrimination, write to Operations Director-Civil Rights Division, Internal Revenue Service-Room 2413, 1111 Constitution Avenue-NW, Washington, DC 20224 or e-mail them at

Intake Process

General Intake Hotline

Monday through Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. at 215-981-3800.

Apply Online

Apply online for an issue, anytime by filling out our online application. Click the button below to take you to our application site. Note: this will open in another tab in your browser.

Apply Online