People work for years to buy a home of their own and the process of losing their home to foreclosure is devastating for families and communities. As gentrification rises, it is vital to protect homeownership at low income levels as homeownership is often the most affordable housing, and allows families to build wealth from their hard work. People facing foreclosure are desperate for help and may be taken advantage of by scammers or predatory lending practices.
The Housing Unit at Philadelphia Legal Assistance strives to prevent foreclosures for low-income homeowners, fight against predatory lending, and assist families in preserving the integrity of their homes.
PLA advises thousands of homeowners each year about what they can do to avoid losing their homes. Some of the legal issues our Housing Unit can help with include:
- Connecting clients who are in foreclosure, or worried about foreclosure, with a housing counselor through the Save Your Home Philly hotline
- Fighting against mortgage foreclosures
- Helping homeowners who are having trouble paying real estate taxes
- Assisting clients in filing for Chapter 13 bankruptcy
- Sorting out tangled titles to ensure that homeowners have all the tools necessary to protect and care for their home
Clients who rent from a private landlord, live in public housing, or have problems with public utilities should contact Community Legal Services instead of PLA.
Save Your Home Philly Hotline
Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 215-334-HOME (4663).
Apply online for an issue, anytime by filling out our online application. Click the button below to take you to our application site. Note: this will open in another tab in your browser.